Tullamore Train Station
- Tullamore Train Station was built by The Great Southern Railway company in 1854
- It was originally located outside of the town of Tullamore in an area called ‘Clonminch’. Many passengers complained of the location being too far from the town and it was moved to it’s current location.
- It now is located on the Charleville Rd. at the junction with Kilcruttin Rd.
- The arrival of railway to a nearby station in Portarlington had a huge impact on Tullamore town and the form of transport used by the townspeople: ‘With the coming of the railway to Portarlington, came the death-knell of the flyboat and the stage-coach. The Tullamore people no longer travelled by it, but, instead, went to Portarlington, whither they took the train for the city.’ (Johnson 2007)
- It wasn’t long before the railway line reached Tullamore itself in 1854 and it is said that ‘The first appearance of the train was on a Sunday, and its arrival was witnessed by a large concourse of the people of the town and district’ (Johnson, 2007)
Our first visit: 16th June 2011
Luke, Andrew, Arek, Ciarán and Seán went down to the station today. They met with Vincent and had a look at some old photos and maps and the old signal cabin. Here are some of the photos they took with the digital camera. Click on the photo to see a larger version.
These photos are taken from an old map that is displayed in the station. There were railway lines in Offaly that are no longer open. Can you see them? Also have a look and see what the carriages carried into Tullamore.
Here are some photos of a steam engine and an old photo of the railway station:
And here’s the old signal cabin, where the train tracks had to be controlled by mechanical levers:
Here’s some photos from inside the cabin:
The boys are hoping to meet with the retired stationmaster later this week and interview him about the changes he has seen happen in the station during his time there.