With its central location, Athlone Railway Station, is naturally busy. It serves the town of Athlone in both Co. Roscommon and Co. Westmeath. Dublin-Westport and Dublin-Galway lines.
There was a Railway line to Mullingar but it is no longer in use.
Up until 1985 Athlone had two stations located on the west side of the Shannon, the Midland Great Western Railway Station had its first Passenger train stopped in 1851.On the east side of the Shannon the Athlone Railway Station as we know today was originally completed in 1859.
For years the two stations worked on their own but came together in 1925.
The Great Western Railway Stations was designed by J.S. Mulvany and had its last train on January 13th 1985 due to the newly renovated station we have today on the eastern side of Athlone.