The History of Tullamore Station
The first of three stations at Tullamore opened on 2nd October 1854.
The current station at Kilcruttin opened in 1859 and through the years the town has been served by the railway for cattle, general freight and more latterly a dedicated cement depot.
When all trains to Galway, Westport and Ballina were routed through this line, Tullamore became an even more prominent station. It now serves as a busy passenger station with commuters to and from the town travelling long distances to work.
Goods and cattle are no longer transported by train due to the improvements in road transport.
By A. G.