HISTORY OF MONASTEREVIN TRAIN STATION
The Monasterevin Train Station came to Monasterevin in 1847 during the Great Famine. On the 26th of June 1847, the 18-mile section from Cherryville junction to Portlaoise was opened. The railway line was built through Hybla, Borradera and through the townland of Coolnaferagh. The bridge over the River Barrow was replaced in 1927 with the one we have today.
Before CIE shut the Train Station down three Trains stopped daily and if the train carrying the mail wasn’t scheduled to stop, the mail was thrown out the window onto the side of the platform in a mail pouch.
The Guinness Train came once week to deliver cargo and feed grain for the farmers. During the time of Cassidy Distillery as many as fourteen people worked at the station. It was a source of employment.
The Railway Station closed in 1976 because they wanted to speed up the journey of the 18:10 train to Galway.
The action group for the Monasterevin Railway Station was formed in 1995 to reopen the train station. This group was called The Monasterevin Railway Station Action Group. Efforts included; lobbying Iarnròd Eireann, M.E.P’s and local politicians. The train station was re-opened in 2001 and now 12 trains on the Dublin-Kildare- Portlaoise line alone a week stop in Monasterevin.
By Owen, Dean, Mark and Frank